Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Book Review: Labyrinth

I thought I did the review for this one already, but apparently not. Well, it's Friday at work and that means Jeans Day! and I really don't have much else to keep me occupied. So, I'm going to catch up all my book reviews/thoughts from the last few I've read. I'll start here.

Labyrinth was disappointing. It had such great potential. I thought it would be an archaeological mystery where someone stumbles into an old important historic site, finds something of importance and the mystery surrounding that item or site would come out, detractors would also find themselves out in the open and maybe even a love story would blossom. But No. This was not what I got out of this book at all. It was more of a historical fiction than anything else, and I don't really like historical fiction. Especially not books that focus on the Crusades and the lack of importance that women had and the importance of religious persecution.  I'm not saying that those aren't important topics, but they were not handled well within the constraints of this story.

It started off fine, but quickly devolved into a sort of mock-feminist escapade that lost its luster quickly. There were too many story lines that started at roughly the same time and when the story would jump back and forth between the present and the past, I found it very hard to keep up with what era we were currently experiencing. Especially considering the characters names were disturbingly similar. I never knew what was going on 100 percent of the time. I think I just fumbled through this book hoping it would end much more quickly than it did.

 2 stars. No more.

No comments:

Post a Comment