Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

Book Review: Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Sigh.

It's been a while since I've read this book, but it's been an even longer while since I've wanted to really post anything. I feel old and jaded.

But here it is. My review of Darkly Dreaming Dexter.

First things first. I hate the book version of Deb. I might be biased simply because I adore Jennifer Carpenter, but the Deb in the book is a brainless bimbo whose only asset is her chest size. Just no.

I also really dislike the book LaGuerta, but I can see why this is a necessary plot device for the novel to work. Again, I might be partially biased because I do greatly enjoy the Showtime drama for what it's worth.

The story is slow and I really had a hard time "getting sucked in". This was actually the second time I'd attempted to read the novel and only the first that I managed to finish it. Some of the things felt a little too coincidental and while coincidences are good plot devices to get the main character INTO trouble, they should never be used to get one OUT of trouble. Herein lies my main problem with the entire flow of the novel. Dexter relies on coincidences entirely too much. He also relies on his charms and his good luck and quite possibly the stupidity of the people around him.

Overall, I did enjoy the book. I probably would have given it 3.5 stars if half stars were an option, but alas, they are not. So I erred on the upside.

Fans of the TV show should not hold this books shortcomings against it. It is a good story on it's own. It is not something to judge the TV show against, however. Do not read it for that merit alone. I personally feel that the Showtime version is a lot stronger and more dramatic. The novel is a quick, throwaway beach read.

No comments:

Post a Comment