Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Book Review: The Girl Who Played With Fire

I'm still behind on all my reviewing, but I'll be caught up soon I promise. I read this book a while ago. 3 books ago, maybe.

Like the first book in the series, this novel is not exactly classics material. It is not that well written, but I don't think anyone minds. The story is compelling and lush and a bunch of other words I can't really think of right now.

This book was more enjoyable than The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was for me, at least as far as the main mystery/driving force of the novel was concerned. As much as the last book centered on Mikael, this book is almost solely about Lisbeth. And it is Lisbeth that we all want to know about. At least I do. She is an interesting character. An antisocial outcast with possible Aspergers who is incredibly good with math, computers and blending into a crowd. Yes, please.

I especially liked the cliffhanger at the end of the novel. I find that this happens a lot in the second part of trilogies. Catching Fire is another book that did that. I need to know what happens next! Cannot wait! Instant gratification! Now now now!

My only complaint with this book is how easily confused I was by all the new characters. There were so many important people added so quickly that I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information presented in such a short time. Who is doing what again? What's going on? Is this person good or bad or do we know them yet? I was constantly asking this. But the end more than makes up for the lack of cohesion throughout the rest of the book. 

And yet, I do not own the third book in this series. And I probably won't for a very long time. Unless I find it for a dollar again.

No comments:

Post a Comment