Friday, February 3, 2012

Tax Time!

I was supposed to do yoga last night. I started out the month quite well, doing yoga twice this week already. My goal is to do some form of exercise three times a week. I just so happen to enjoy yoga and it is a simple routine I can fall into quite easily. BUT...

Yoga did not happen last night because I was too busy filing my taxes.

The last of my four W2's showed up in the mail yesterday and after I did my happy, I-can-finally-file-my-taxes dance, I sat down in front of the computer.

I lived in Alabama for part of the year last year. From January to half-way through August, I was staying in the armpit of America. My feelings towards the state haven't changed much since I lived there. I still loathe it. One of the reasons is because Alabama has a state income tax. Tennessee does not. I am legally a Tennessee resident and have been since I was born. This is where the problems started.

I filled out my federal return online. I do my own taxes every year since it's really not that difficult. My deductions are never more than the federal allotment, so it doesn't make sense for me to itemize things that will cause me to receive LESS money than the government would give me otherwise. And yes, I do know that I shouldn't be getting any money back, AT ALL, at the end of the year, but I know myself. I can use the money more efficiently by getting it back in a lump sum rather than making an extra 6.00 every week or whatever it ends up being.

The final sum that I should receive back this year is $1123! Very exciting.

Now what to do with the money.

And also, filing my Alabama state return is going to be painful. Even though Alabama's revenue website has all this flashy crap all over it about "filing your taxes for free through one of these websites," as a nonresident, I have to print a specific form, fill it out, mail it to Montgomery and wait for the illiterate masses in the office down there to get around to sending my refund check of 25 dollars. Yes. That's it. 25 whole dollars. Despite the fact that I am not, nor have I been a legal resident of the state of Alabama. And they withheld much much more than that from me in taxes last year. First world problems, I know. But dang. It hurts the soul to know that some place so freaking backwards can continue to cause me so much rage. Alabama is continuing to find ways to make me want to napalm it. It is the bane of my existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment