Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Book Review: McNally's Caper

Another book review of a book I didn't much care for.
Oh joy, you say.
Why do you keep reading books you don't enjoy? you ask.
Well, my dear friends. I read them because they are there. And because I have imposed certain RULES onto this reading challenge. I am only allowed to read books I own and the books I own just so happen to suck beyond belief.
But why do you only own crappy books then? you ask. Well, dear ones. Let me tell you why. Because my mother gives them to me. And I can't say no to my mom. And well, what else do I have to do with my time, besides read crappy books and eat lots of food.
Which is exactly what I did this weekend. I read crappy books and ate food. Lots of food. So much food that I should probably not eat for a few days just to put a dent in my caloric intake for the week. And I definitely need to go to the grocery store this weekend because I have nothing in my cabinet now. Not a thing at all, except maybe some dried beans and some packs of hot chocolate mix. That will be an excellent meal, let me tell you.

On to the book review!

McNally's Caper by Lawrence Sanders

Another Archy McNally book and I still can't figure out where the appeal lies. Is it because Archy lives the life we can only dream of? Or is it the gratuitous descriptions of Archy's vast wardrobe choices, including but definitely not limited to such awesome sartorial pics as a purple silk suit and white broges. I don't even remember the basis of the plot line for this novel, honestly. It was pretty similar to every other McNally book I've read though, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Archy gets hired by his dad to do some investigating for some rich family. Someone dies. Archy gets involves. Gratuitous fornication occurs. Pretty straightforward. Oh, and Archy solves the mystery, saves the day AND loses the girl. All in a days work, I say.

I think I only read these books to cleanse my literary palate. It's like smelling something neutral after you inhale a bunch of perfume samples. You have to just wipe everything else out of there. That's how I view these books. They wipe all the other stories out of my head. Leaving it refreshed and ready for a new and far superior story yet to come.

Verdict: Don't read. Or do read. It's really up to you. I'm reading them and I don't find them all that good, so why shouldn't you enjoy them. I don't know. Go for it. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment